Congratulations Year 11 Leavers 2017

Year 11 Leavers

Congratulations to our Year 11 leavers who performed superbly in this summer’s GCSE exams. We are delighted that 65% of our pupils gained a good (9-4) pass in both English and Maths and that 44% gained a strong (9-5) pass in both English and Maths. 22 pupils also managed to gain an average of an A grade or better in their best 8 subjects. Good luck to all of you in your next steps after Hall Green School.

Science

About The Science Department

The science department consists of 10 well qualified science teachers who are supported by 3 science technicians.  The school has 6 fully equipped laboratories that are primarily used for science lessons across key stage 3 and 4.  The science department are committed to delivering a thorough and varied curriculum and a large part of this is a belief and understanding of the value of practical work, which is carried out wherever possible.

Key Stage 3 Years 7-8

Year 7 and 8 have 6 lessons a fortnight and will be taught in their main teaching groups.  Students will study a range of topics, equally spread across Biology, Chemistry and Physics.  Students learning is regularly assessed, approximately once every 6 weeks.  Key scientific ideas are taught, as well as important practical and analysing skills that will allow the students the best possible chance to succeed at key stage 4.

At the end of year 8, students will sit a comprehensive examination that will form an important part of deciding which GCSE group they will move in to in year 9.

Key Stage 4 Years 9-11

Year 9 have 6 lessons a fortnight.  Years 10 and 11 have 10 lessons a fortnight.  Students will be set into groups based predominantly on their ability within science, as well as any other timetabling constraints.

Year 11 students are studying OCR Gateway Additional Science GCSE, with set 1 also studying OCR Further Additional Science GCSE.  Each of these GCSEs has a coursework element worth 25% of the final grade alongside two exams which make up the remaining 75%.  These science GCSEs each contain two units worth of work on Biology, Physics and Chemistry.

Year 9 and 10 pupils are following the new GCSE specification and the course we have chosen is Edexcel 9-1 Combined Science GCSE, worth 2 GCSEs.  There are no external examinations until the summer of year 11, when pupils will sit a total of 6 papers, spread evenly across Biology, Chemistry and Physics.  There is no coursework.

Set 1 in year 9 and 10 will study for 3 separate qualifications from the same exam board in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.  Each of these qualifications will have 2 examinations to be sat at the end of the course and again there will be no coursework element.

Through a range of internal and external assessments, i.e., mock exams, centre-assessed work and regular testing, we monitor the progress of individuals and class groups.  This enables us to identify strengths and weaknesses and set predicted and target grades.

The Science Department works with pupils and parents/carers to ensure high standards of attainment.  The Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 results are well above Local Authority and National Averages.

Parents...We are looking for some volunteers to provide a positive message for us to use in our school prospectus and on the school website. If you/your child are happy at HGS please let us know via DM or contact us at office@hallgreen.bham.sch.uk. We appreciate your support!

We proudly open our doors to prospective parents and pupils on Thursday 27th September. Open Evening commences at 6pm, final guided tours leave at 7:30pm with the evening drawing to a close by 8pm. The Headteacher will speak at 6pm and again at 7:30pm in the Hall.

Senior Team 2018/2019:

Hassana Gul (Head Girl)
Zohib Asif (Head Boy)
Jannayee Jarrett (Deputy Head Girl)
Muhammed Sahad (Deputy Head Boy)

Proud to say they represent us, and look forward to working together this year!

Load More...